Saturday, July 7, 2018

Hope

My name is Afreen and I’m an artist from Atlanta. I self-taught watching my dad paint when I was a child. I make mostly Arabic calligraphies though I can’t read or speak the language.  I donate my paintings to social fundraisers and also sell my work to raise funds for surgeries and medicine for the underprivileged.  Serving others heals the emptiness created after my father passing. Serving others is also a privilege not everyone gets and I am humbled by the Glory of God for His miracles and life lessons as well as for my network of friends, family and all who have contributed to my efforts, our efforts.

I speak with patients and their families almost everyday and one thing is common, they all have Hope. They may not have money, a strong support network or even a fair chance to defend against the social stigmas of their financial or health conditions, but they remain hopeful.  Hope is not exclusive to a religion, cast, race or geography. In theory, Hope does not discriminate, but the irony is that Hope is discriminated against, everywhere, even here in the U.S.

We have had our own set of challenges lately with each new day lowering the moral standards we hold so dear.  I wanted to capture Hope through a woman.  The woman in all of us, strong, faithful, loving, humble, proud and self-reflecting.  The sunflower on her head symbolizes radiance, warmth, loyalty, longevity, and power.  With her head in prostration towards her Creator, she counts her blessings while running her fingers through the worry-bead necklace.

She is praying for her child to be safe. She is praying for her child to have a better tomorrow. She is praying for her child to outlive her.


Meet Hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment